Sunday 20 March 2016

Burwood electrician - Emergency electrician needed after a DIY failure

At the moment, our televisions seem to be flooded with renovation and DIY programs that make home renovations seem so simple. Let’s face it - painting, tiling, gardening and basic carpentry are all within our skill sets and most of us can learn the basics of these skills by watching instructional videos or by watching others perform the task. Electrical work on the other hand most definitely is not a job for the home handyman.

Electrical installation and repair work can only legally be undertaken by a licensed electrical contractor. To do-it-yourself or have a semi-qualified person do it for you, is exposing yourself to a long list of legal and safety issues. At the most extreme end of the spectrum, in the event of an injury or death resulting from illegally installed wiring, you could be criminally liable and face sanctions up to and including jail. If there is damage to property such as a fire, your home insurance would in all likelihood be null and void.



There have been so many times I have walked into a home to have the man of the house sheepishly tell me he was “trying to have a go“, and now nothing is working or the fuse keeps blowing. Unfortunately, it’s almost always accompanied by a wife fuming in the background with an “I told you so look” on their face plus a teenager or two in complete desperation, waiting for the power to be restored so they can plug back into Facebook or the Xbox.

I was recently called by Amanda who was quite upset at the fact that her husband had attempted to install a new power point into the garage in order to have another outlet to plug in some of his power tools. Amanda told me that they had been without power now for about two hours and her husband George had tried everything to fix the cause of the problem. I was the Burwood electrician they decided to call in just the nick of time as they were advised that any other electrician Sydney had available could have taken hours!

I cringed upon hearing this as all I could think about was the imminent danger that comes with attempting DIY electrical work. The really terrible thing is that most people are unaware that it is illegal. I told Amanda to advise George not to do any more work and that I would be at their Burwood home in the next hour. I arrived at the Livingstone Street home and headed straight for the garage where I found both Amanda and George as well as a multitude of tools and wiring. George was apologising profusely for getting me to come out for something so simple, but I told him it was absolutely no problem and that I would have it sorted in no time.

Turns out that the safety switch in the meter box kept tripping because George had allowed wires to touch when he was installing the power point causing a short circuit. I fixed all of the wiring and reset the safety switch and everything was back to normal. I reminded both Amanda and George that if they ever needed any other electrical work done to please give me a call.

So apart from the risk to life, property, and bank balance – doing your own electrical work can be devastating to your family life. So don’t risk it - use a licensed electrical contractor and call a Burwood electrician at Sydney Local Electricians on 0415 11 66 22 and we will be there to help.


Burwood electrician - Electrician Burwood - Sydney Electrician - Emergency electrician

No comments:

Post a Comment